Threshold Climbing Gym offers a competitive climbing team for ages 6-18. Team Threshold’s focus is preparation for competition performance. Our coaches will focus on cultivating and maintaining an environment where safety, leadership, teamwork, advanced climbing techniques, training and competition performance are of the utmost importance. Team Threshold tryouts will be held on a seasonal basis in August and March prior to the start of USA Climbing seasons.
Mission: To develop and maintain high performing climbing abilities in Team Threshold athletes while fostering a love for the sport and encouraging fellow teammates.
Evan SmallHEAD COACH
Evan climbing career started in 2009. He and his wife Mariah have climbed at areas all across the United States including Arkansas, Alabama, Kentucky, Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming. His competition experience ranges from local competitions in Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma. Evan studied Kinesiology - Exercise Science at the University of Central Oklahoma where he built a foundation of knowledge to expand on sport performance and injury prevention specifically for adult and adolescent rock climbers. Certifications • AMGA Climbing Wall Instructor-LEAD • USA Climbing Route Setter • Team USA SafeSport Coach First Aid, CPR and AED
Nic StrongASSISTANT COACH
Nic Started climbing in 2009 despite climbing 40 foot trees in his backyard all his life. Soon he was propelled into the competition world. For the next 8 years he would go to 7 National Competitions (two in the first year) and two World Championships. Outside of competition he endeavors in every conceivable aspect of the sport from ice climbing to guiding and watching every climbing video.....ever made. If you’ve spent any considerable time around Nick before, you are now more psyched on climbing! Certifications • AMGA Climbing Wall Instructor-LEAD • USA Climbing Route Setter • Team USA SafeSport Coach First Aid, CPR and AED
- Every Tuesday/Thursday 5:30-7:30
- Holiday exceptions will be promptly announced
USA Climbing Seasons
- Bouldering Season
- Sport & Speed Season
- $150 Monthly Team Threshold Membership- Practice Only
- $170 Monthly Team Threshold Membership- Includes Gym Membership
- 200+ coaching hours annually ($8.65/hr coaching instruction)
- 2 hour practice twice per week
- 1 Instructor per 15 climbers
- Individualized instruction during team practice
- Report cards indicating successes and areas for improvement
- FREE parent intro to climbing class (auto belay & top rope)
- 2 Team T-shirt per season
- Team gear available for purchasing
- 15% off retail store team members only
- Access to select pro deals when offered
- Team trips available for purchasing
- Moc-Competitions on a monthly basis
- USA Climbing Membership ($100 one time fee)
- Competition Fees
- Transportation and Lodging fees for outdoor trips and competitions
- Gym fees for out of town team practices
- Food and Drink
- It is recommended to attend all days of practice
- Competing at two local competitions in our region is required to qualify for regionals at the culmination of each season
What to do if missing a practice? Please notify the coach before hand. Also, please be very mindful of your schedule outside of climbing when joining the team. Conflicts with practice are inevitable. However, each practice builds on the previous and are carefully designed to continue improvement. Therefore, plan and try to make every practice session on Tuesday and Thursday from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
What should my child wear to practice? Team threshold shirt. Team shirts will be provided. Clothing that allows for freedom of movement such as: athletic shorts, quick drying t-shirts or tank tops are recommended.Climbing inherently presents abrasions to the skin of climbers. Wearing long pants thatare made of synthetic materials (not cotton) can help prevent scrapes and cuts.
What should my child bring to practice? Climbing shoes, harness and chalk are the most used items at practice. These items are also available to rent at the front desk. However, team member s are encouraged to acquire their own equipment via the 15% off team discount in the Threshold pro shop. When traveling for competitions, it becomes important for the climber to be responsible for their own equipment. Athletic shoes for strength and conditioning are infrequently needed but are recommended.
Results from tryouts are at the discretion of the Climbing Team Coaches. Tryouts are exclusively bouldering based. Only climbing shoes and chalk are needed.